EVENTS OF THE 31ST RCT -- 7th Division

The day by day events of the Korean War for the 7th Division Regiments involved at Chosin.
Please note: This is not a summary of ALL events of the Korean War. Please see THE KOREAN WAR, UN FORCES link for in depth coverage.

Special thanks to Ed Evanhoe and Ray Vallowe(*) for allowing me to use thier material that they have compiled.
(* copyright 2000)

You can read the entire events of all Divisions in Korea at Ed's site, THE KOREAN WAR, UN FORCES, see Links Page
SEPTEMBER 23, 1950-
The 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry, captured Hill 290, a dominating terrain feature three miles south of the Han River and seven miles southeast of Yongdungp'o. Hill 290 dominates the southeastern approaches to Seoul. Meanwhile, the 2nd Battalion 32nd Infantry, seized the hills south of the railroad and highway bridges across the Han and Seoul.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1950-
About for AM, the 2nd Battalion, 32nd Infantry launched an attack toward the Han River. This attack caught the North Korean's asleep and the 1st Battalion quickly overran enemy positions, capturing a regimental headquarters along with tanks and equipment. In the next few hours, the 2nd Battalion cleared all North Koreans from a fold in the Han River southwest of Seoul setting the stage for attack on Seoul the following day.

In the Suwon area, a North Korean tank-infantry force attacked 31st Infantry positions two miles south of the city. The attack was defeated with the Noth Koreans losing 4 T-34 tanks.

SEPTEMBER 25, 1950-
Meanwhile, beginning at 6 AM, the 32nd Infantry Regiment, 7th Division, crossed the Han river three miles southeast of downtown Seoul. The 32nd was followed across the Han by the ROK 17th Infantry Regiment. During the day these units took South Mountain, while others took Hill 120. The units on South Mountain and Hill 120 dug in for the night and awaited the expected counterattack. To the east, the 17th ROK advanced toward Hills 348 and 292.

SEPTEMBER 25, 1950-
(By late evening the entire 1st Calvary Division was concentrated in and around Sangju. Shortly before midnight, the division command, General Gay, received permission from I Corps to advance and link up with X Corps units in the vicinity of Suwon. Meanwhile, the 1st ROK Division had crossed the Naktong and moved up to the Hamch'ong-Poum area, northeast of Sangju, thus protecting ythe 1st Calvary Divisions right flank.)

SEPTEMBER 26, 1950-
Shortly after dawn the North Koreans attacked 32nd Infantry positions on South Mountain. The attack, for the North Korean regiment, was a disaster. The North Koreans lost 394 killed while another 174 surrendered.

Meanwhile, to the east, the 3rd Battalion, 32nd was advancing toward Hill 348 when it spotted a large enemy forces on the highway. It attacked immediately, killing over 500 North Korean soldiers, destroying 5 T-34 tanks plus artillery. To the east the 17th ROK Regiment took Hills 348 and 292 and by evening enemy troops had been cleared from both the 17th ROK and 32nd Infantry sectors. Meanwhile, in Seoul itself, the Marines were slowly clearing the city of enemy in what came to be known as "The Battle of the Barricades." By nightfall. X Corps forces controlled approximately half the city.

South of Suwon, the 31st Infantry attacked south toward Osan, advancing to where Task Force Smith first engaged the North Koreans on July 5th. The attackers dug in just south of there.

Three tanks, a tank platoon from 70th Tank Battalion, 1st Calvalry Division Task Force 777 left Ch'onan heading north into Osan. The platoon lost contact with the task force, with enemy nearby and X Corps closeby. The platoon leader realized that X Corps would probably fire on his tank as he approached, he ordered driving light be turned on, then proceeded at full speed. The three tanks began receiving small arms fire from enemy troops shortly after this, and then small arms fire from US infantry as they passed through their lines. Fortunately, having the lights kept on X Corps tanks and antitank weapons from firing on them. He reached 31st Infantry lines at 10:26 PM. They were very fortunate since they bulled their way through a major North Korean tank force as they approached X Corps lines. The rest of the task force was not so lucky.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1950-
The Battle of the Barricades continued inside Seoul throughout the day but by evening, except
for small pockets and a few snipers, the city was free of North Koreans. Casualties were moderate.

South of their overnight positions, the 31st Infantry ran into heavy resistance put up by the 105th North Korean Armored Division. Gains during the day were small but the North Korean suffered heavy loses in men, tanks and artillery, inflicted by air attacks and artillery.

Meanwhile, a few miles to the south, at dawn the 1st Cavalry Division's Task Force 777 moved out towards Osan. They encountered small pockets of resistance but entered the town at 8 AM. Then, at 8:26 AM, Platoon Sergeant Edward C. Mancil, L Company, 7th Cavalry, met elements of H Company, 31st Infantry a short distance north of Osan. The rapid advance by Task Force 777 cut off the North Korean 105 Armored Division in the Ansong and P'yongt'aek area plus miscellaneous units in the Taejon area.

SEPTEMBER 28, 1950-
Just south of Osan on the main highway an all-day battle developed between the 31st Infantry, 7th Infantry Division and North Korean troops trying to escape northeastward. This battle was fought mainly by artillery units and with air strikes. By dark, the North Koreans had either been killed or fled. Not a single American soldier was killed in this battle.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1950-
The 2nd Battalion 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, fought its first battle of the Korean War on the southeast side of Seoul when the North Koreans attacked their positions. In this battle the 2nd Battalion suffered 79 casualties. The North Koreans suffered more than 400 killed in this battle.

(On the east coast and central corrdior, ROK forces made rapid advances and were approaching the 38th Parallel in both sectors.)

Meanwhile, General Douglas Macsrthur received permission to cross into North Korea.

SEPTEMBER 30, 1950-
The 1st Marine Division assumed responsibility for Seoul and the 32nd Infantry began moving south to rejoin the 7th Division in the Suwon-Osan area. Scattered fighting continued throughout the day as the Marines cleared the few remaing small pockets of enemy.

Except for mopping up, South Korea was back under its government's control.

You are currently visiting The Army At Chosin site.

Introduction to Data-Numbers of 31RCT-March Order-Divisions and Regiments-Chosin Notes-32nd Reg before and after-Events To Inchon-Events 9/23 to 9/3/1950-